Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

25 Years!

I just got a call from my boss and he told me that I have reached my 25 years of service in our corporation (I mean, church!) I guess in my own busyness, I forgot how time flies. Twenty five years, whoa! I am really getting old. I was told that this is usually rare these days. Most employees move from one company to another in just a matter of five years. Worse, most CEO's stay only for an average of two years. I guess gone is the idea of loyalty. People think that if you stay more than seven years in a company, you are not daring and imaginative enough. They may be right. Perhaps I have not been daring enough. But what do you do if you love your job?

A friend of mine asked me one time an interesting question. "What if you are not a pastor as you are now, what job do want to be doing?" In a heartbeat, I said, "A chef." Not that I am a great cook. Mediocre at best. Although I have to admit, modesty aside, my family and friends do like my cooking. There is something about cooking that relaxes me. I don't mind cutting onions especially when I am dealing with a serious problem in church. Tears just come more easily. Or when I am having some body pains due to lack of sleep or stress, I can easily chew a jalapeno or eat kimchi. Although one time when I tried habanero, I understood what the word "spitfire" means. Best of all, cooking is an adventure. An adventure of the palate is like world travel. It is like a cultural journey to different parts of this globe. Greek food brings me right at the foot of Mt. Olympus. A phadtay noodle or a tom-kha guy soup, translates me into the heart of Bangkok. First time, I made some sushi and sashimi, I started speaking in tongues, that is... Nipponggo! Domo Arigatu! Hmmm, I am getting hungry... I guess it's time for me to travel to Mexico. I just love those Mexican tacos. Hasta la Vista!

...and by the way, I was told that I will receive a plaque and a watch for my services. What? I was hoping for a grill or a new knife set... just kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment